Sunday, February 20, 2011

Where to Church?

Back in the summer, Andrew and I took a long, long drive. We ended up in Lowville, which we thought was absolutely beautiful with its narrow, winding roads and quaint houses and parks. We kept driving and ended up in a town called Freelton (yeah, I know, we'd never heard of it either!). Freelton has close to nothing in terms of entertainment, industry, or real character. Or so we thought...until we found Our Lady of Mount Carmel R.C Church. I remember stumbling upon the church so randomly in our drive and getting out of the car to walk around the grounds. It reminded me so much of a little Irish or Scottish church, the kind that are so old you wonder how long the churchyard has been there for. In the summer, I wasn't planning my wedding and so, obviously, didn't bother to write the name of the church down or actually remember where it was located.

I should have!

Right after we got engaged, we started to talk about churches. And of course, the Freelton church was top of the list. Except for the fact that we thought it had been in Lowville. We didn't remember how far we'd driven and that we'd actually discovered the gem of a church in Freelton, near Hamilton. So today, upon arriving in Lowville to actually see the church again, we quickly realized, hey, this isn't the same church at all. We did, however, find St. George's Anglican Church which is actually in Lowville, and were quite taken with it.



Lowville is just lovely, I'm sure those of you who know it know this. We weren't able to go in, as we weren't there around Mass times, and the doors were locked. There are pictures online but of course I can't go by those -- they are always deceiving. Above is St. George's in Lowville, below is Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Freelton.



Based on the outsides, what do you think?

I'm going to make some calls this week and see if I can set up appointments where I can actually check out the interiors. Stay tuned!


1 comment:

  1. You couldn't have been driving THAT long, Freelton is about 20 minutes outside of Milton (if you take Derry Rd), and Lowville isn't much further. My parents live just outside of Freelton, and I agree the church is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete